Sunday, March 8, 2015

A Song for Sunday- Sarasvati.

I've been into a recent Mary Lambert phase. Ever since working on my I AM healthy body image project for my critical thinking class, I have been on the hunt for inspiring music, and Mary Lambert's Body Love pt. 1 &2 have been spot on. Well whilst listening to her music, I came across this emotionally deep song, Sarasvati. 

Before we begin, you're prolly wondering what the monkey sarasvati is? I know I was. Sarasvati is the Hindu goddess of knowledge, music, art, wisdom and nature. In this particular song, Sarasvati is romanticized as death.

Deeply troubling, but oh so beautiful. Mary Lambert has a way of artfully depicting death to be a beautifully tragic and natural thing. The person in the song wants to be removed from life, but carefully, because she's already fragile. It's incredibly powerful and perfectly beautiful.

If you watch her perform it live, it's even better. Mary is an incredible vocalist and her control and inflection is spot on. And it's real too, which makes it that much more personal and touchy.

"...Pull the bones from their sockets
Please be softer while you do it for I am fragile and vacant
Sarasvati saw me to sleep
I rested my head against her knee and the music I like goes up
And down like bobbing bodies in the river bend

And they say
"Mary, why are your songs so sad?
Look at the luck and fortune you've had
Why do you cry at night?"





No comments:

Post a Comment