Monday, January 19, 2015

We Are Supposed To Be Different.

In lieu of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, I thought it best to don one of my favorite messaged tees. I found this one at a consignment store by good hYOUman. 

I find their objective to be quite inspiring. On each of their tags, they feature an inspirational story submitted by anyone during each season. When I first read the hand tag, I was touched and I actually misted right there in the store. Granted, I cry at everything like Achilles dying in the TROY film, but I just loved how this company was doing something more than just producing clothing. Everyone has a story and to be able to share such a story on a hang-tag where everyone can see is a fantastic example of corporate social responsibility, going above and beyond the norm.

Anyhow, tying in with the above and beyond, I want to give a personal shout out to Martin Luther King Jr. and his standing up for freedom. Because along with that, comes a sense of being different. It's about not following the rules and standing up for what you believe in to be right and true. 

Being different is a beautiful thing, and it's something we all have in common, so why not embrace that? Why not step out of the social norm and do what you do best? We're supposed to be different, we were born to be different, so why do so many still want to fall into place like a puzzle piece? Don't be that person, be that almond that Winston wedges into the puzzle (New Girl joke, I'm sorry if you don't get it!). 

Like today- I was in Starbucks in my alligator shorts and good hYOUman top, handing over my mason jar to be filled with coffee, and the barista guy asked how tall I was. I responded with 6 ft 2" and he goes WOW! naturally. But what got me is that he said something like "And you say it with pride" and then I got to thinking well DUH because being tall is something to be proud of! Being different no matter what your uniqueness is, is something to be ultimately proud of. 

Coco Chanel says it best:
In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.






What I wore: vintage rhinestone earrings (used), pistachio green good hYOUman top (used), pink alligator CJ LAING shorts (used), and red TOMS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment