Sunday, December 14, 2014

A Song for Sunday- Do They Know its Christmas?

It was a casual afternoon when I got the text from my sister telling me to go and check out Band Aid 30's Do They Know it's Christmas? Of course the enticement came from the fact that all of my favorite British artists were singing a Christmas song together because, um, how could I not resist checking that out?

Once I watched the music video though, and once I learned more about what this Band Aid 30 was all about, did I realize how little the celebrity thing mattered. In the big picture, Band Aid 30 is the 2014 incarnation of the charity group Band Aid.

The song was made to help spread the word about preventing the spread of the Ebola virus in West Africa, with all of the proceeds of the song going to the charity to help stop the virus.

The video is touching, you know? Besides having Ed Sheeran, One Direction, Bastille, Sam Smith, Olly Murs, Emile Sande, and Rita Ora, among countless others, participate in the singing, it really puts things into perspective for me. I mean, so good to see celebrities coming together and singing about something that really matters, but what's really most important is the message.

Christmas has been warped and twisted by the media and by advertising, that we truly lose sight of what the value that Christmas has. For me, it makes me see how privileged I am, but it also makes me want to take that and help others. I hope I can someday make a contribution to the greater good of the world, to take what blessings I have and share those with people who are less fortunate. Christmas is about believing in something, in hope and a brighter future. It's about giving, and not expecting anything in return. So let's give this season, let's help, and not expect a Starbucks card or a pair of Ugg boots in return. Let's give from the heart, for that's what Christmas is truly about.

No comments:

Post a Comment