Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Song for Sunday- I Feel Pretty/Unpretty.

My yoga class is what really inspired me this morning. As I was sitting in the first position of my practice, the theme of what my instructor was saying truly stuck out to me. It went along the lines like so..

Now it being the month of February, with Valentine's Day in the air, I like to focus our poses with the heart in my mind. So lots of poses to open up the heart. I would also like us to concentrate on loving ourselves during this time. We spend so much time showing love towards others, but today, I want you to focus on loving yourself. 

I was instantly inspired. It is true. I'm not saying we should become selfish and have the world revolve around ourselves, I just think that people often neglect themselves when they focus so much energy on others' opinions and not themselves.

Take a minute, and come up with five things you love about yourself. Five little things that make you so happy to be unconditionally YOU. 

The song of choice today is the one and only Glee version of "I Feel Pretty/Unpretty", sung by characters Rachel Berry and Quinn Fabray. I chose this particular song because it makes one recognize that the only one that can make you feel less deserving is yourself. It's a song that highlights the importance of loving yourself for all of what you are. Yes, you can change whatever about yourself that someone else sees to be "unpretty" but the only thing that can prevent that is simply your attitude.

You can buy your hair if it won't grow
You can fix your nose if he says so
You can buy all the make-up that M.A.C. can make
But if you can't look inside you
Find out who am I to
Be in a position to make me feel so damn unpretty

We ended our practice with an excellent little saying that has been in my heart all day long. It goes as follows:

I will forgive, heal, and release anything that is holding me back from my truest potential of love.


I hope you all find love this Valentine's Day, even if it's learning to love yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment